Monday, December 17, 2007

Blogoversary

Tonight on the public-radio show, Marketplace, host Kai Ryssdal noted:

The blog is celebrating an anniversary today. Ten years ago a guy named Jorn Barger coined the term "weblog" to describe his website Robot Wisdom. It was shortened to "blog" two years later by someobody else.

Back then only about 23 websites were properly considered blogs. These days, whether you write them or read them, blogs are a pretty common pursuit.

Estimates are that 120,000 new ones are created everyday. No word, though, on how many are actually read.
By sheer coincidence, today is also the third anniversary of my first blog post. It was a Friday evening and I had nothing better to do. Now look where it's led.

I swear, however, that I was not influenced by the date that Jorn Barger came up with the word "weblog." In fact, until a few minutes ago, I never visited Robot Wisdom (and then only to get the correct link). But you have to appreciate these accidents of history.

1 comment:

Jim Duncan said...

Rick -

Congrats on 3 years. Yours continues to be one of the sites I consistently read and enjoy.