Tuesday, December 06, 2005

California Dreamin' 3


Writing is harder when I'm traveling. (I could never be an effective and efficient foreign correspondent.) So I'm going to rely once again on graphic images to describe my short stay in La-La Land.

On Sunday, we went to downtown Los Angeles, to visit the Fashion Institute of Design Museum, where a display of Star Wars costumes from Episodes I, II, and III is nearing its end. As it happened, Sunday was "fan day," so there were an inordinate number of children (and adults, as well -- grown-ups who apparently emerged from the cocoons of their mothers' basements for the day) in costumes as authentic as those of designer Trisha Biggar inside the museum.

A few choice moments from the afternoon's excursion to "Dressing a Galaxy: The Costumes of Star Wars," which remains open until December 10:


To my astonishment, photography was allowed in the "Dressing a Galaxy" exhibit, although flash photography was permitted only at the entrance, where visitors could pose with C3PO and R2D2, the two droids who provide a link through the six Star Wars movies.


Inside the exhibit, where the lighting was iffy, at best, was a phantasmagorical collection of costumes (and models) representing many Star Wars characters, including the Dark Lord of the Sith, Darth Vader.


Ambassadors of the Trade Federation.


I'm not sure which of the Fetts this is, Boba or Jango. You've seen one bounty hunter, you've seen them all.

Outside the museum, where the lighting was better, was an X-Wing Fighter, looking ready for action.


There were so many Storm Troopers wandering around the grounds of the FIDM, I thought I was on the set of a commercial advocating a stronger USA PATRIOT Act.


They certainly look determined, don't they?


And they seem to be trying to recruit from among our nation's youth.



See what I mean?



"Dressing a Galaxy" was a delight, and I am glad to have caught it in its final days. I recommend it highly to anyone who is able to attend before it closes next weekend.




No comments: