Monday, May 19, 2008

Today in 'The Examiner'

On April 29, I posted a personal tribute to the late James J. Unger, who was the debate coach at Georgetown University in the 1970s and early 1980s.

Mike McGough, the former editorial page editor of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette and now with the Los Angeles Times, saw my blogpost and encouraged me to write something that would be publishable in a daily newspaper. The result of his encouragement appears in today's Washington Examiner, under the headline "An educator's immeasurable legacy":

Washington Examiner James J. Unger college debate coach
My contract with the Examiner gives that newspaper exclusive publication rights in the D.C. area for a limited period of time. When that exclusivity agreement expires, I will post the text of the article here, along with some further commentary that has been bouncing around in my brain in recent weeks.

Thanks to Professor John Q. Barrett at St. John's University for passing along a copy of my article, which does not appear (at least not yet) on the Examiner's web site.

UPDATE: The Examiner's editorial page editor, Mark Tapscott, informs me that my piece is now available on line, here.

Addendum: I just discovered that a web site in tribute to Jim Unger, complete with photographs and personal reminiscences, has been set up by former Harvard debaters Charlie Garvin and Greg Rosenbaum.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice tribute, Rick.

Anonymous said...

Great Theme you have:-
Title:-It is a free image hosting site upload image and generate sharing links for easy post

on forums and blogs

I wonder if the audience could know the function of the site
Great Features: Free image hosting, Photo hosting, blog image hosting, forum image hosting,

easy image hosting
multiple images upload and share Image sharing. It is designed to focus on user experience

to do easy
sharing of digital pictures and images with friends and other online audience. (blogs etc).

when you select
browsing, the uploaded files will be queued up for upload and upload will start

automatically. Check at
this link and experience the difference:-
http://www.imagestored.com/